It’s Monday and time for our weekly recap. Last week we heard about initial signs for price comparison within Google Shopping, a new deal between AOL and Bing as well as Google results in Yahoo SERPs.
Is Google Testing Price Comparison within Google Shopping Ads?
According to ChannelAdvisor, Google seems to test a new price comparison feature within its Shopping ads. Unlike Value Alerts, which are more like a sales offer within an ad, the new feature takes into account online averages and compares the price to it. It does not compare prices to other PLAs that are shown at the same time, as the screenshots illustrate.
It has not yet been disclosed where Google pulls the data from to find the average online price, neither what the purpose is. According to ChannelAdvisor, this might be to better compete with marketplaces like Amazon.
Bing Hands Over Majority of its Ad Business to AOL, Only Search Stays
Wall Street Journal reports that Microsoft is selling the majority of its ad business to AOL. According to the source, AOL takes over sales of display, mobile and video ads on all of Microsoft properties within the US and eight international markets. Ad business for Search will stay at Microsoft.
In return, Microsoft’s Bing search engine will power search results and advertising on AOL’s properties, displacing Google.
Yahoo Testing Google Search Results
Different sources like Search Engine Land report, that Yahoo is currently testing supplementing other search ranking providers, including Google, to power Yahoo Search. This is not only affecting organic results but also ad business, which will then be fuelled by Yahoo, Bing and Google ads.
This is only possible due to the deal between Yahoo and Bing earlier this year. Under the new deal, 51% of Yahoos desktop search traffic has to carry Bing ads, the remaining 49% can be filled up with e.g. Google results and ads.
50% of Clicks on Mobile Ads are Accidental – Google Releases Updates
According to the AdWords blog, recent third party studies estimate that up to 50% of clicks are accidental. For advertisers, this can artificially inflate click-through rates and increase costs.
In order to improve user experience and keep advertisers from loosing money, Google announced three updates:
- Blocking clicks that happen to close to the edge of a mobile image ad, making the click on a more central part of the image necessary.
- Blocking clicks on the app icon within an in-app interstitial ad, making the click on a call-to-action button necessary.
- Adding a clickability delay, making ads clickable only after they’ve been onscreen for some short time.